Thursday, April 13, 2017

wi fi - How do I "forget" an out-of-range Wi-Fi network on a Galaxy S7?


I want to remove old saved networks that are no longer in range. I can forget visible networks, but out-of-range networks are not visible anywhere so I can't do the standard long-tap => "Forget Network" action.


There is no option for "Saved Networks" or "Manage Networks" under the built-in Wi-Fi app's "More" menu.


I have tried a third-party app, WiFi Manager, where the networks are visible but reported an error on forget:



Android 6 allows apps to change (edit password, forget) only those networks that were originally "created" in same app.



I quite distinctly remember being able to view saved networks on previous Android phones...




My phone is rooted, so methods requiring root are acceptable, but it's better if that's not necessary.





I have an Australian (CSC XSA) Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F).




Apparently this was a problem with the S6, where the 'solution' was to use third-party Wi-Fi management apps that no longer work in Marshmallow.



But that no longer works, as per the error message above...



Answer



Looks like this was (re-)added sometime between the initial release and the Android 7 Nougat update!


From the Wi-Fi menu, go to Advanced (top-right corner) and then the Manage networks option near the top of the page. You'll get a list of known networks and the ability to edit/delete them, even when out of range.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...