Wednesday, April 26, 2017

How to resize Android screen in VirtualBox with UEFI?


I have 64-bit Android 7.1.2, obtained from android-x86_64-7.1-rc1.iso. I installed it on VirtualBox (latest version, 5.1.2.8) with UEFI mode. (The host is 64-bit Linux Lubuntu 16.04.)


The installation all works fine apart from the fact that the screen is fixed at 1024×768. The various sizes given in the VirtualBox menu > View > Virtual Screen 1, which range from 640×480 to 1920×1200, are all greyed out.


I would like to be able to resize the Android screen, making it both smaller and larger, and even full-screen if possible. Sadly, the usual method, Guest Additions, isn't supported on Android.


I've tried following various instructions. The vast majority seem to be valid only for non-UEFI installations, although I tried them anyway. The only one for UEFI that I found doesn't work for me.


The methods that I have found include:





  • Issue the command:
    vboxmanage setextradata Android CustomVideoMode1 1152x864x32
    (this obviously would work only for that one resolution).




  • Adding various commands to Grub, either at boot or permanently in EFI/boot/grub/grub.cfg:



    • set gfxpayload=keep


    • set gfxpayload=1152x864x32

    • vga=ask

    • vga=834




I am at a total loss how to proceed. Can you help, please?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...