Thursday, April 27, 2017

Transfer App data from rooted to unrooted new phone


I got a new (unrooted) Nexus 6P and want to transfer my app data from a rooted Amazon Fire Phone.


Methods I've considered:




  • Use titanium backup to backup apps - Can't be restored on my new unrooted phone

  • Use titanium backup to create apks that contain app data - Installed apps wouldn't be linked to play store (right?)

  • Use google syncing capability? The fire phone doesn't seem to sync the apps even though I have google services installed.

  • Use an intermediate rooted device that supports google syncing? Would this actually work? Could I use Bluestacks for this?


I'm open to any other suggestions as well. The fact that my previous device is rooted seems to help, but I'm not sure how to get around my new device being unrooted since only a system user or each app itself would have permission to rewrite its app data.



Answer



Utilize the and restore features of for this, as they are available on rooted and not-rooted devices alike – provided they run Android 4+. On the old device: adb backup -f .ab -apk – on the new device: adb restore . Either do that for each app separately (recommended, as you can "skip some to be dealt with later") – or create a "bundle" by repeating the part in the backup for each app. Package names you can find out via their Playstore URL (id=).


Some additional details can be found in our adb tag-wiki and backup tag-wiki.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...