Friday, September 30, 2016

6.0 marshmallow - How to revoke "SMS Services that cost you money" permission?


I have an Android 6, Samsung S6 smartphone and today I bought a tram ticket via SMS. Before sending, a warning popped up asking if I wanted to grant the Messages app the permission "SMS Services that cost you money". I assume this was because the SMS ("Premium SMS") is overcharged (by the price of the ticket), since the app never asked for this permission before sending a SMS.


I replied Yes, since it was a legitimate purchase, but I was in a hurry and involuntarily I ticked the option "remember my choice".


Now I would like that Android keeps asking me before sending Premium SMSs, since it's a security risk, but I couldn't find a setting to disable this option. Is this possible? Or the only way is to hard reset my phone and reconfigure it from scratch? I can't believe Android doesn't offer this option.




Answer



You can choose another setting by going into Settings > Applications > Applications Manager > More (top right) > Show System Apps > Message Service (rather than Messages) > Tap 'Send Premium SMS' > Select Ask, Never Allow or Always Allow.


On more recent versions of Android (Nougat V7) the setting is at Settings > Apps > Application Manager > More (top right) > Special Access > Use Premium SMS services (may be listed as Use Premium text message services) > Select Ask, Never Allow or Always Allow.


screenshot of Message service app info


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...