Wednesday, September 14, 2016

sync android calendar (tasks) with calendar from PC


My goal is to have common calendar & task management between my PC and Android phone. Here is my situation:


On my PC (Windows 7), I have Windows Calendar installed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Calendar It didn't come with it (it actually stopped being released after Vista) so I had to hack around a bit to get it on there. I use Windows Calendar partially (20%) for appointments and their reminders. My main use of it, though, is Tasks and their reminders. Nearly always, when I have a reminder, I snooze it; I rarely complete my task after the first reminder. So, I usually end up snoozing my reminders minutes/hours/days/weeks into the future. Windows Calendar is perfectly suited for this functionality and is the reason why I chose it and like to use it. The calendar is currently stored on the same PC and is not stored remotely somewhere.


Recently, I got an HTC Desire 601. I would like to access the same appointments and tasks from the phone and, importantly, have the reminders synchronized. To clarify, I would like to be able to snooze a task from my PC at 6pm for 2 hours, leave home for at least 2 hours, and have the task popup on my phone at 8pm with a similar prompt to snooze. So, I'm looking for a fairly complete synchronization effect between the PC and the phone.


So, to do this, I obviously need a shared service (Google Calendar, etc.) or a shared file (iCalendar, CalDAV) on a server that both my phone and PC can access. One knock against Google Calendar is that tasks are deficient compared to tasks on Windows Calendar. Google Calendar tasks don't have reminders (and, therefore, nothing to snooze), so I have ruled Google Calendar out. I'm not familiar with other SaaS calendaring/task offerings (Microsoft, etc.)...maybe someone could advise if they handle tasks more like Windows Calendar.


On the phone, there is a calendar built into Android which is pretty close to what I want for a native client. Popups for reminders, though, have no snooze duration. So, I can't choose how long I want it to snooze. This is fairly significant because I routinely snooze one task for 5 minutes and snooze another task for 1 week. So, I need a client on my phone that has this type of functionality. Furthermore, I need a client that will connect to the "shared" service/file that I mentioned earlier.


Am I stretching the limits of the SaaS offerings out there and the available native clients too much that I now need to write my own Android client? I'm not sure about Windows Calendar "automatic synchronization", so I'm flexible enough to accept changing to a client like Mozilla Lightning, if necessary. I have tested Mozilla Lightning and it synchronizes (appointments) well with Google Calendar, for example. Any advice for my problem?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...