Saturday, September 17, 2016

windows - How to set up tablet to use a local DNS server thru VPN rather than Google's DNS?


I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server running in our home network. It has VPN functionality installed and fully working.



If I connect with a computer, the computer will get right DNS servers. If I connect with Android tablet (Asus Transformer Prime), the tablet will still use Google's DNS servers.


The problem with this is that I can't resolve local website addresses such as intranet. Getting the access to that site is more than necessary.


I want the (non-rooted) Android tablet to use the DNS servers provided by the VPN server.


How can I fix this?



Answer



You can solve this issue either from the Android side or from the Windows side:


From the Android side



  1. Tap your device "menu" button, and select "settings";

  2. Tap "Wireless & networks";


  3. Tap "Wi-Fi settings";

  4. Tap your device "menu" to bring up extra options and select "advanced";

  5. Tap "Use static IP";

  6. Fill in your local network static IP details and dns server details;

  7. Tap your device "menu" to bring up extra options and select "save".


Ip Settings Screen Shot




From the Windows side




  1. Open the DNS management;

  2. Add a new Forward Lookup Zone for the Google DNS and set a Host A record to your local IP.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...