Saturday, September 10, 2016

offline - How to use GPS/Maps without an Internet connection?


I need a way (possibly a third-party application) that allows me to use maps and GPS without an Internet connection.


I don't use it by car, just for walking in cities. It would be nice if I could just copy all data relative to a particular city before going there for tourism.



The Google Maps app does not store maps reliably, so it is risky to rely on it without an Internet connection.



Answer



I am now using OsmAnd.


It stores OpenStreetMap maps on the phone's storage.


OsmAnd uses a vectorial format, which means it can store a lot of information without taking too much space, and is visible in all zoom factors.


You can download the maps you want, for instance Italy, Bolivia, or any other country/region.


OsmAnd


Free, open source.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...