Thursday, September 1, 2016

media player - Optimum video codec for low end Android phones?



While I know Android phones play mp4 the best, I wanted to know what other specification in this container is the best for playback, (the bitrate, resolution, fps etc). Or perhaps some other codec/format that Android can (or is designed to) play smoothly and with an acceptable file size/quality ratio?


I searched the Android developer page and tried the H.264 setting on my converter etc, but the file fails to play natively on my handset and when I tried to open it using RockPlayer. It plays slowly and the video-audio gets out of sync progressively. I tried many external players. However, 3GP videos from my Nokia phones play smoothly (even natively). So I want to know what is ideal for my low end phone (video should be normal quality and size)?


My phone is a Huawei IDEOS U8150 running Froyo with a 320x240 resolution and a 528 Mhz ARMv6 processor.


Also if anyone has tips, what types of encoding is recommended, if I'd be using the software decoder mode in apps like RockPlayer, so I can achieve more file size compression yet achieve smooth playback?



Answer



It seems that most of the H.264 encoded video files do not work in Huawei IDEOS u8150 using the Hardware renderer mode.


3GPs , H.263s and less complex video profiles work at full speed in HW mode.


Most FLV video files play on Software Rendering mode (ARMv6 MXVideoPlayer) at appreciable speed (sometimes lagging at certain points, but overclock to more than 600 Mhz, and it runs fairly good at all points)



Standard MP4s or MPEG-4 Part-2 compressed video files seem to be the best file format to play on low end android phones which is easy on the CPU (plays perfect in HW mode) and has good balance between clarity and file size.




Here is my HandBrake Preset for Huawei IDEOS u8150 optimum video format : http://depositfiles.com/files/gbqtxevo4?redirect (320x240 resolution)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...