Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Security: how to prevent USB mounting of mobile device


I am running Android KitKat 4.4.2 on a Samsung Galaxy SIII Neo. As a security measure I would like to prevent my phone being automatically mounted whenever I attach a USB cable from my mobile device to a PC. This way if someone steals my device they will not be able to read or copy files stored on my mobile device. However I am not sure how to turn this feature on or off.


I have read this post but I actually have USB debugging enabled under Settings | General | Developer Options. But the answer found there does not seem to apply to my device.



Answer



I think it was in Android 4.2 a feature was added that requires the phone to allow each PC it is connected, which is identified by a unique key. You can save this key in your phone rather than having to click on accept every time.


If you want to clear the keys that you have already accepted: Settings -> Developer Options -> Revoke USB debugging authorization


Now any device that is connected to your phone must be accepted by the phone again.


This should not really be a problem unless someone steals both your phone and your laptop. If you plug your phone into someone else's computer, the phone should require your phone unlock code and explicit acceptance to allow USB debugging.





EDIT: After playing some more with these settings, I think my above answer is not really related to the mounting issue.


I don't think there is a way to prevent auto-mounting. But if your phone is locked, it should not be readable. So lock your phone. You can test whether anything is readable on your phone by plugging it in the USB cable to a computer while the phone is locked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...