Friday, July 31, 2015

windows - Driver issues when using Samsung Galaxy SIII via USB for development


The phone is connected via USB to Windows 7 64-bit. The USB debugging option enabled.
When I connect the phone to the computer, I'm notified that some drivers failed to install.



Do I need these for development? Where can I get them? I have yet to try the Kies drivers.
As is, the device is connected as a "media device", which is useless in terms of development.

When trying an Android SDK sample demo, it starts the emulator instead of running on the phone.


More info about device:



  • Model number: SGH-T999V

  • Android version: 4.0.4


edit: See my answer below.



Answer



There's no need to install Kies. Download the driver SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0.exe (or a higher version) which is available from the Samsung website. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab (below the image of the phone) and then the Software tab.


After installing, I connected the S3 via USB and Windows Update automatically searched for and downloaded a package that was 6.8MB, followed by this notification.




I restarted my computer (just in case) and I can now use the S3 for development, even though it says the device is connected as a "media device".


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...