Wednesday, July 29, 2015

wi fi - Remember wifi password but never automatically connect


I have both my wifi password and my friend's saved. Since they live nearby sometimes it will automatically switch to theirs if the signal is stronger. I don't ordinarily want to use their connection unless I'm over there or my internet is down.


Is here any way to make android only automatically connect to my wifi without forgetting the other's password? It is long and impossible to memorize so forgetting the network is a huge pain.


Running ICS, and have root if needed.



Answer



Not exactly what you may have intended, but still a possible solution: Using an app like




you can generate a QR Code of your friend's Wifi connection, print it, laminate it (for protection), and put it into your wallet. Now, whenever you want to use that Wifi network, take out the QR-Code, scan it with Barcode Scanner -- and get connected. For a "log-out" simply disconnect, and remove the network from your list (to keep your device from autoconnecting).


Not quite elegant -- but it saves you from typing the long password everytime. Side-Effect: Print out the QR multiple times, and give it to your friend's for other guests. Do the same for your own Wifi. Now you never have to tell your passwords: To permit your guests to connect, somply show them the QR-Code to scan (and have them delete the network from their devices when they leave, as Android stores Wifi-passwords unencrypted).


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...