Sunday, July 19, 2015

networking - Listen which URLs an app tries to connect


Is it possible to listen/monitor an app's network activities?


I have this one app, and I couldn't figure out where it gets its images. I tried to google an app to listen to other apps connections, but I didn't find any. I'm looking for similar functionality as Google Chrome's network tab from developer menu.


I have rooted Nexus 4 with 4.2.2.




Answer



OS Monitor lists network connections by app:


OS Monitor: Connections Connection Tracker
OS Monitor and Connection Tracker listing connections (source: Google Play; click image to enlarge)


As you can see, OS Monitor lists up all connections, and lists the corresponding app "owning" this connection along. This should enable you to see all servers your suspicious app connects to. There are other apps available with the same feature as well, as e.g. Connection Tracker shown in the second screenshot.


If you really need the full URL, the above won't bring you there (both apps use methods similar to netstat, which only reveals the hosts). Instead, you might want to take a look at e.g. tPacketCapture, which "sniffs" your network traffic (without requiring root), and saves the protocol in so called .pcap files. These again can be read then by e.g. Shark Reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...