Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How to do backups and updates properly with full device encryption?


I think about the following use cases:



  • 'Perfectly' reverse encryption without losing settings

  • Update ROMs. Even if /system, /data, /sdcard (internal) are encrypted

  • Low level Backups with CWM. When SDCARD partition is also encrypted.

  • Emergency access to my data (screen broken, soft bricked...)


  • How to mount crypted dumps on linux (knowing the passphrase)


Is there some salt value going into the key together with the passphrase stored on the device?


I currently use a tmpfs mount to /sdcard and 'adb push update.zip' on my Nexus S to update the ROM. I've been told that the Galaxy Nexus also has an encrypted /system which would prevent all that (see Nexus S solution here: Broken screen while debug mode was disabled. How can I re-enable adb? )




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...