Friday, July 3, 2015

New access permissions for Google Maps v9.1.1


I recently got an notification for the latest Google Maps update 9.1.1. With this update, the app asks for 2 new access rights: Phone and Device ID and call information.


After checking the changelog, I cannot connect the need for those 2 permissions with the new features introduced.



Changelog:



  • Dynamic Routing Around Closures

  • Quick Facts cards on Points of Interest with time and weather

  • Bug fixes




After reading what an app can do with this permissions (read my call log, start phone calls, read the remote number of an active call), it doesn't feel right to simply give permission to use it without knowing what the actual benefit is.


I checked the Google Maps webpage and did a search on Google, but couldn't find any explanation for this new access permissions.


Can anyone tell me what this permissions are used for, or point me to a source where I can verify the use of these rights?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...