Friday, July 31, 2015

security - Signal, WhatsApp, etc. without Gapps on Copperhead


There is seemingly no way to install gapps on Copperhead OS anymore, as indicated by the Copperhead OS bugtracker. Yet, Mike Perry does it by installing Copperhead piecemeal. What is going on here? What in Copperhead OS's unified install breaks gapps? Is it just the android-info.txt file in the image zip?


As an aside, I only wanted to install Google Play Services because it sounded like Signal, WhatsApp, and maybe Wire might not receive messages in the background without gapps pico installed. Signal warns about this, and asks to burn oodls of battery to fix it, but I do not know if this really matters. I do know microG cannot be used to fix it currently because the way microG spoofs Google Play Services breaks security throughout the phone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...