Tuesday, July 21, 2015

4.4 kitkat - Turn off vibration notification for ALL apps at once


In my stock, unrooted Android 4.3 on a Nexus 4, if I uncheck the feature Vibrate when ringing under Sound Settings, it only turns off vibration for Calls. This does not turn off vibration notification for individual apps (Whatsapp,FB etc). Therefore what I am looking for is an option to turn off vibration system wide, which means the phone should not vibrate for anything, be it calls, text messages or app notifications.
It's like this feature on iOS...when Vibrate on Silent is Off, switching the phone to silent mode turns vibration off system wide.


Is there any app that enables me to toggle this setting?
If Tasker is a suggestion, please provide a detailed description as I am still on the learning curve.


Update 1
Currently (until Oreo) there's no way to do this without having root and installing the application marked as answer below. For Xposed users, there's a free alternative: VibrationTuner



Update 2
It should not come as a surprise, but MIUI has this. Tested on MIUI 9.5.



Answer



Update: Android Pie (9.0) finally allows you to disable all the vibrations. Go to Settings app > Accessibility > Vibration. Some ROMs still don't have this option, in which case you may want to check out my old solution.




Old solution - applies to Android Oreo or older (<9.0):


Stock Android does not have an option to disable all vibrations. This frustrated me as well, so I made an app that can turn them off system-wide - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sk.blade.globalvibratetoggle


A rooted phone is required, as there is no API for disabling vibrations.


The app is basically a user-friendly wrapper for this shell command: chmod 444 /sys/devices/virtual/timed_output/vibrator/enable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...