Tuesday, March 28, 2017

wi fi - What is the functionality concept behind Wi-Fi sharing (aka Wi-Fi Profile share)?


Recent versions of Samsung devices (at least to my knowledge) are equipped with a rather unique feature called "WiFi Profile share" or just Wi-Fi Sharing.


My little understanding of this feature suggest that, a WiFi connection is "shared over WiFi" unlike traditional hotspot feature which shares mobile data (3g, 4g etc.)


I would like to know how this idea of rebroadcasting a WiFi connection works. In most desktop environments this is achieved through an implemenation of virtual wlan drivers, which then are used to rebroadcast/share a given connection through another SSID.



My question is how is this achieved in android through this feature (WiFi profile share)? Is a new interface apart from wlan0 created? Perhaps with Wi-Fi direct?


I understand it is not possible to have two concurrent wireless connections via the same interface (which is why WiFi functionality is disabled when mobile hospot is active)




The rationale of asking this question was that I wanted to achieve the same from my Android tablet to my beloved Symbian device (i.e Share Wi-Fi from my Android tablet to my Symbian device "over wi-fi" because the latter can't connect to captive portal wi-fi networks)




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...