Friday, March 24, 2017

htc one x - My HTC One X seems to be self destructing after Jelly Bean update


I upgraded to Jelly Bean on my AT&T HTC One X last month, and ever since then it's like my phone has just given up on life.


I had to upgrade through the installer package from the HTC Website and was walked through the process by HTC tech support.


Things that have been happening:



  • HD Widgets would stop working off and on, the widgets I've had on the screen would simply disappear

  • Tasker crashes constantly and profiles don't work. I have used this app on my last 2 phones as well as on the HTC One X since I got it back in Nov.

  • Swype is no longer my keyboard and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it back.


  • most importantly : My microphone quit working on phone calls. It still works on speakerphone, but no longer works normalls.

  • Other various weird happenings here and there. I swear it's like my phone is haunted or has become sentient and given up on life.


These are all apps I have used for a very long time and have never had issues with. At least 2 of them are very popular and respectable apps. (I would link to them, but Google Play is unfortunately blocked at work)


My phone is not rooted. I have not dropped my phone in water or even dropped it on the ground. Literally nothing major has changed in the past 2-3 months except the Jelly Bean update about a month ago.


If you need any more information to help me get pointed in the right direction to resolve my issues, please let me know.



Answer



If those problems started right away after the update: did the update process include a factory-reset? If not (and nothing else helps), this might be your chance:


Backup all things you can backup (luckily on JB that's not too big an issue, see Full Backup of non-rooted devices -- but I recommend to have all your apps into separate packages, as otherwise a full restore might bring back your problems). Then do a factory-reset.


Before restoring anything, check if your problems are gone. Then restore your apps one-by-one (just to make sure to not bring back the problem).



As for the backup process: check with Helium - App Sync and Backup, this is the easiest way to go. You can mark all your apps, make sure to check that .apk files are included (by default, Helium only backups data), and give it a go. Helium creates separate backup archives per-app, so you can restore them separately. Make a copy of the backup folder to your PC, just in case -- if restoring via Helium should fail for any reason, this still gives you the chance to use adb restore via USB.


Background: It might very well be that some settings got messed up on update. A will erase all your apps and data, plus the Dalvik-Cache (optimized app code -- this might be the culprit if it doesn't 100% match the new Android version), so all settings revert to "default". Your Android system ROM (JellyBean) will not be reverted to what you had before, so no worries for that :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...