Thursday, March 9, 2017

crashes - Settings app: 'Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.'


I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Cyanogenmod 11 11-20140225-SNAPSHOT-InstallerXNPQ09P-maguro Android 4.4.2 KitKat with CWM 6.0.4.7. It's a stable installer build.


For a while now I have been getting been getting a 'Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.' error, when trying to simply open Settings from the home screen or application drawer.


It also happens if I try to run the app (com.android.settings) in other ways such as opening a third-party keyboard's settings (which tries to open 'Language & input' within the Settings app).


I have tried the following things, to no avail:




  • Wipe Dalvik cache in CWM

  • 'wipe cache partition' in CWM

  • Fix permissions using the 'ROM manager' app

  • Did 'Clear data' for the Settings app (by dragging it to 'App info' on home screen)

  • Installed AROMA Filemanager in CWM, and, not finding anything to delete in /data/data/com.android.settings/cache/, but deleting /data/data/com.android.settings/shared_prefs/CMStats.xml

  • Botting into safe mode, where Settings app STILL crashes.


I will note that the Settings app still sits in the multitasking list, but when you try to open it from there it still gives the same crash error.


I'd like to try and avoid a factory reset if possible, so are there any steps I could try further before an entire factory reset?


Could it be having selected ART mode that eventually mucked up Settings somehow? If so perhaps I could turn it off manually via Terminal/adb and then reset Dalvik again or something?



Whatever it is, what troubleshooting steps could be done in addition to the ones above?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...