Thursday, March 23, 2017

rooting - How to check if a device can be made root-able



There are many similar questions to what I am asking, but from my searches so far have not pointed this out:



What keywords on the device advertisement or how can I tell prior to purchasing a device, if it can allow root access to applications?



For instance, is there a brand or a model, or even OS version, that comes with an "allows Switch User" application by default?


Is there a way for me to direct possible customers to "easily" check if a device can be made rootable...


Long story:


I built a device to help users without mobility to control an Android device. The users are usually illiterate, have no Internet access and have low resources.


My application requires root access, however, my users are very uninformed about technology, and thus I need some sort of pointer or something to help them purchase Android devices (currently, they send me an e-mail that they usually can only check/reply once every 3 weeks, then I check that product, and give yes/no replies to that device.... this scenario is not working out, and giving out lists with all possible/know devices is also troublesome, since most shops will sell an Android device, but will not be able to tell the client the model.


As an example, we had the D2212 Sony E3 model working (this was my local testing device)... but clients keep on asking if the "Sony one", "the black one", "the telephony dealership one", etc.




Answer



Rooting is not something endorsed by vendors (otherwise they would provide official instructions for doing this, or even ship the phones already rooted). Sony provides instructions to turn your device into a developer tool by unlocking the boot loader and changing the OS to a custom build. Motorola once offered the same. Also Nexus devices are friendly to rooting.


But in general there's no simple way to answer your question. Every user is on his own with this problem. Yes, I know this is disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...