Friday, March 31, 2017

wi fi - Can't change DNS on S3 mini


I am trying to use OpenDNS on my phone. I have tried using SetDNS, DNS Changer, and DNSet. At least two of those claim to allow changing the wifi DNS without root access (I am only using wifi on an unrooted S3 mini with 4.1.2). No matter what I do the OpenDNS test pages say it is not working, and I also installed an app called Ping & DNS which can display my network information and it indicates that my DNS is always obtained from whatever router I am connected to, regardless of any DNS apps I have running.



Actually if I have SetDNS and DNSet running at the same time then SetDNS claims to be using Google's DNS (8.8.8.8, DNSet only supports Google's DNS). But Ping & DNS still says that I am just getting DNS settings from the router. I am not sure which one it really is at that point. Regardless, I want to use OpenDNS.


UPDATE: To be clear, I am using these DNS changing apps because I want all connections to automatically and only use OpenDNS. So either I want to know why none of these apps work as advertised (when reviewers don't say they don't work), or how can I make it work for all connections without an app in such a way that it can't be altered without a password or something. And I really don't want to bother with rooting if I don't have to.



Answer



The OpenDNS website has their own set of instructions to use their services on Android devices, I've provided their instructions below:



  1. Open Settings

  2. Choose Wi-Fi


Wi-Fi Menu




  1. Long click the network you're setting DNS servers for and choose Modify Network


Modify Network



  1. Check Advanced Options


Advanced Options



  1. You might need to scroll down to an option that says IP Settings, click DHCP and change it to Static



Static DNS



  1. The option to change DNS servers will be at the bottom, mine show Google's servers, but I've included the OpenDNS ones below if you don't have them already.


Change DNS OpenDNS addresses


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...