Tuesday, November 15, 2016

nexus 7 - Transfer data from one user to another in 4.3


I have the Nexus 7, and I just updated to 4.3, and I'm creating restricted profiles for my kids. They use to play in my main profile, and they progressed a lot in several games and, when they access their new user, they have to start over. Is there anyway to migrate the application data from my main user to the restricted users? I'm not rooted. Tks



Answer



Had the same problem with my kids profile. Finally solved, but it required root grants!


This is what I did:




  1. close all running [app] instances.


  2. from command prompt start ADB shell:


    c:> adb shell




  3. switch to root user (your device must be rooted):


    shell> su





  4. go to in target profile directory:


    root> cd /data/user/[profile_user_id]


    For example: profile_user_id==10 for first restricted profile.




  5. rename directory (to have a back up copy)


    root> mv [app_dir] [app_dir].old





  6. copy app data from main profile (id=0) to new profile:


    root> cp -r /data/user/0/[app_dir] .




  7. change owner for files just copied:


    root> find [app_dir] | xargs chown [app_user]:[app_group]




  8. restart device (not sure if it is really needed).





Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...