Thursday, November 24, 2016

htc evo - USB host mode with class compliant audio interfaces


I have an HTC EVO, and it is my understanding that the hardware supports USB host mode. I am still working to confirm this, but even if it doesn't, I understand other devices do, and that the Android kernel supports USB2Go.


Assuming the hardware is capable, what would it take to get Android to use a USB audio interface? I am only interested in trying to get it working for class-compliant interfaces, as anything else isn't worth the effort.


I understand this is a bit of an general question. I am hoping someone has already tried this. I'm a software developer but have not dug into Android much. This would be a heavy first project for me, but any information on how/if this could even be done would be much appreciated.



Edit: Seems this guy got it working on a Nexus One: http://sven.killig.de/android/N1/2.2/usb_host/


Edit #2: So, since there seem to be drivers available... how would I load them? Is ADB the only way? Is a kernel update required, or can I simply drop the modules in place and load them? If a kernel update is required, can I replace the kernel without losing everything else?



Answer



Fortunately, Android 5.0 properly supports class-compliant USB audio capture! It doesn't seem to work in all applications, but many work just fine. I just used my Zoom H4n on a Galaxy S6 with the getUserMedia test page on Firefox.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...