Sunday, November 27, 2016

ebook reader - Are Google Books DRM protected?


In some countries Google Play offers ebooks. I was wondering if those are DRM protected.


Can I export them as e.g. epub? Or are they bound to be read within the Google Play Books application?




Answer



Some are DRM protected, others aren't.


One way I'm aware of to find out the ones that are DRM, is when you try to download the file for offline reading:



  • If the extension is .acsm then its a DRM protected book.

  • If the extension ends in .epub or .pdf then its not DRM. protected.


Related reading:


File types for reading on your device


DRM options for downloads of books on Google Play





Related to exporting the eBook to a certain format or have it restricted to be read on Google Play, the above first link answers your doubt, where they stat that you can read or download to read your eBook on other devices or applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...