Tuesday, November 10, 2015

wi fi - Is there a way to copy files directly between two Android devices on the same wifi network?


I now have a Samsung Galaxy S Android phone running Froyo 2.2.1 and an Archos 101 Android tablet - also running Froyo.


Both are 'connected' to the same home network via wifi.


Is there a method by which I can copy files directly between the two devices using Wifi?


Bluetooth is also an option, but since I want to copy a lot of thumbnail images, I think this is too slow.




UPDATE


The solution I choose:



I managed to copy files using the ftp protocal , using swiFTP as ftp server on my Archos table, and using Ghost Commander on my Samsung phone.


If you want to try something similar: you might look at my comments to the accepted answer on my other question: question about a 550 error I received during my initial ftp testing in order to see what I had to do to make it running.



Answer



There seems to be multiple options available. With a relevant internet search there is an application called Bump which shares files by simply bumping both devices together. I'm not sure if it does it over wifi if available or only does it over 3G.


There is another option where you can set up an ftp server on the device using an application called SwiFTP which is not being maintained anymore but the last update was June 2010. You can install this on one device and use ES File Explorer on the other device to compress and upload the file it using the FTP option.


A third option would be use Hoccer which probably uses their service as dropbox does, though I can't be 100% sure.


I'd personally recommend the ftp solution since that seems the most straight forward and you get to ensure that you have a direct connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...