Monday, November 2, 2015

Can Gmail be uninstalled on Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop)?


Somehow the Gmail app has disappeared from my new Android phone (Motorola Moto G 3, Android 5.1.1 Lollipop).


I thought it was impossible to uninstall Gmail so I suspect a hardware failure or an Android bug.


A previous thread says that Gmail can not be uninstalled on KitKat:


How to (cleanly) remove Gmail app from KitKat? I have fully moved over to Inbox


But can Gmail be removed from Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop)?


UPDATE: To avoid confusion here perhaps I should add that I can not find Gmail in Google Play under "Installed" apps and not in "Settings -> Apps -> All".


UPDATE 2: Today Gmail is back on my phone. (Yes, I am sure it was not there.) So I guess this was the automatic uninstall + reinstall that Android uses when there seem to be some problem with an app. However I am not sure why this happened. It can be hardware problem or a bug in Gmail that was hit because of my huge amount of mail messages. Is there some way to get information about this from Google/Android?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...