Friday, September 1, 2017

2.2 froyo - Why do some of my apps show "Update" and some show "Update (manual)"?


When I go into the Market app and into my downloads list I can see that 5 of my apps have an available update.


Three of the apps say "Update" in orange, and two of them say "Update (manual)" in dark red. If I click through to the app I just get the normal "Update" button for both the "manual" and otherwise ones.


I assume this is something new with the Froyo version of the Market, but can't work out what the difference is?




Answer



You will see Update (Manual) when the app's permissions have changed. So during the Manual update, you should be asked whether you accept the new permissions. Here's a reference from the Android Market forum. I read this somewhere else but this seems to be the only place I can find it right now. Quoting the link:



Froyo added an auto-update feature for your apps. If an app has an update and no new permissions, it will be marked as the orange "update." If an app has changed its permissions, then it's red and you need to manually update it (after checking and verifying the new permissions of course).


...


One more thing, you can verify this when you update your apps. If the app was a normal "orange" update, when you click update, it will start downloading right away. If the app was a manual "red' update, when you click update, you have to agree to the new permissions, then it starts downloading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...