Wednesday, September 6, 2017

encryption - How can I read the chat logs from WhatsApp messenger on my Windows machine?


How can I copy over the whatsApp chat messages to a text editor? Are there any specific files I need to copy? I don't care for the media files, I just need the transcript of chat.


I am using the Motorola G phone.


I have noticed the files are stored using some encryption on the phone. I am able to copy the files from the phones internal memory to my Windows 7 computer. The files look something like this msgstore-2014-01-08.1.db.crypt



Opening the file in a text editor gives out a bunch of unprintable characters. Since this is encrypted data, I expected that to happen. So how can I decrypt this text file on my windows computer?


Iï#®ÿùuÆÍ\ ¥Ÿ-5r
ƒX«¿œ‰ùjϽÄ!Ði°‘Ú¹^­¬

Answer



The simplest method is to use the EMAIL CONVERSATION option from within a conversation.


Tap the overflow menu (3 dots), the MORE > EMAIL CONVERSATION.


That brings up a popup allowing you to either attach media files or send the chat without the media files.


There's also Whatsapp Toolbox which has similar functionality but requires ROOT access.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...