Tuesday, August 15, 2017

usb - Linux ADB Driver for LG Viper (LG-LS840)


On most devices I've run across I can plug the device into a Linux machine and no additional drivers are needed in order for ADB to communicate with the device.


However on two LG devices from last year I am having trouble.



  • LG Viper (LG-LS840)

  • LG Optimus Elite (LG-LS969)


When I plug the devices in ADB does not list them when I run adb devices to get a list of connected devices. (I get an empty list)



I have ensured that USB Debugging is turned on for both devices. And I have at some point installed an LG driver which allows the ADB to work correctly from my Windows 7 PC. (Interestingly only the Viper works on my Windows PC, the Optimus Elite can't be found by the adb on windows either)


However I would really like to use ADB from a linux machine. I am far more concerned about getting the Viper working than the Optimus Elite, but a fix that worked for both would be ideal.


On the linux machine in question I can successfully use ADB to connect with every other device I've tested so I know that my environment is set up correctly.


I have tried creating various android.rules files under /etc/udev/rules.d/ but thus far nothing I've tried has had any effect. After creating 51-android.rules and filling in the appropriate vendor id (1004 for LG) I no longer need to use sudo adb to see the devices that do work, still nothing with the Viper though.


My question is: Do I need some sort of additional drivers in order to get ADB working correctly for the LG Viper (LG-LS840) on Linux, and if so where can I find said drivers? If not does anyone know if there is some setup step that I am missing that will allow this device to communicate with my Linux computer via ADB?


EDIT: I ran `lsusb' here are the relavent outputs:


Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1004:6312 LG Electronics, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1004:6317 LG Electronics, Inc.

The top line is a newer LG device that is working properly, the bottom line is the Viper device that can't communicate with adb.





No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...