Friday, August 11, 2017

samsung galaxy s - how to watch DVDs on my Captivate


I would like to rip and watch a DVD on my new Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate variety) handset. Sometimes I get a goofy sci-fi on Netflix that I would like to watch but the wife wouldn't bother. So I want to rip a copy to my PC and watch it later on my captivate. What is the best format/method/player for me?



Answer



Handbrake is a good program to rip and convert DVD video (it may not work on certain copy protected DVDs but that's a topic for another SE).


The stock video player plays H.264 .mp4 videos well (here are the supported formats). You can actually just use the iphone/ipod preset in handbreak, just change the width of the video to the height dimension of your phone (so you can watch it in landscape, on the Droid it's 854 px). It will output a .m4v format which technically isn't supported but it will play because it's not drm'd by itunes.



If you prefer another format like .avi, then you'll need another player like RockPlayer which supports many more video formats:



avi mkv rmvb mp4 mov wmv asf wma wav mpg ts mpa dvd au mp3 mid ivf aiff ogm ogg cda flic d2v aac roq flac drc dsm swf pls pmp



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...