Thursday, June 16, 2016

battery life - How can I boot my Nexus S with a broken power button? Can only boot to "Do not turn off target"


My Nexus S power button has stopped working and Samsung will not honor the warranty. The farthest I've gotten is to the Downloading screen with the yellow work ahead sign, that says "Do not turn off target" and USB Control Init USB Control Init End.


My computer does not find the device via the Android SDK.


I looked up this post Turn phone on with ADB or Fastboot? and others outside of this forum (eg: removing and inserting battery with charger connected), but it does not work for me.


Once I boot it I can use it by plugging a battery charger or cable to turn on the screen.


Is there a way I could boot it?



Answer



All the methods you've tried, and the ones I've been reading for the past hour, exploit a circuit "bump" that shouldn't even happen in the first place.



If they don't work with your phone, be happy, your phone is not suffering from further defects. Some I'm referencing are:





What you should actually do is to repair the phone, it costs a certain amount, but at least you get the problem fixed by professionals and can take preventive measures to prevent this from happening again.




  1. To repair, you can use Nexus S Power Button Repair or other near you.




  2. As a preventive measure, to avoid degrading the power button, you can use an app to lock/unlock the phone. With it, you'll give less use to your power button, and in turn it may last longer.



    Even if it gets broken again, with an app, you still have alternative methods of controlling your phone (lock/unlock).


    Fix Broken Power Button by Destil available from Google Play Store.


    Fix Broken Power Button


    Note: An app installed on your phone CANNOT power it on. So, if the power button breaks again, be sure to not let your phone's battery get empty.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...