Tuesday, June 14, 2016

usb on the go - Is it possible to use external hard drives with USB OTG?


On some sources I have read that it is impossible to use external hard drives over USB OTG. Is it really impossible? Isn't there some kind of workaround? Update: Apparently ES file explorer can see the disk but can't open it. I heard there are such issues with NTFS hard drives on Android.



Answer



Absolutely possible, I do this almost every day. You need to have an otg dongle (not just a cable) that permits adding an external power source. I use a dongle I bought on amazon for £12 and normal usb battery pack. Then I can load films onto my phone from a 2tb WD passport.


Without the additional power source you are not able to read the drive as your phone (or tablet) can't output enough current to properly operate the HDD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...