Friday, April 1, 2016

hyperlinks - How to view the link's URL before opening it in a web browser?


I'd like to see what URL I'm going to visit before opening it in my browser. What setting or app allows me to do that?


If there's no such setting, an app that adds an entry to the following box would also be OK.



PS. Some links trigger this menu. Long URLs are truncated, so this solution is sub-optimal.



Answer



EDIT: After using my original solution for a while, I came to the conclusion that it does not satisfy my needs: Using it to see and use the link URL took too much time.
So I developed a new Android app with a single purpose, namely:




  • Copying the link to the clipboard, and

  • Display the link target in a toast.


The app is available in Google Play as Copy Link to Clipboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.robwu.copylink); below are two screenshots of the app in action.


Complete action using: Browser / Copy Link to Clipboard / Firefox Beta '(link)' copied to clipboard.




Original answer below


I figured out that I used the wrong keywords. Searches for "URL preview", "link preview", "view link", etc. didn't yield anything useful. So, I went to look for URL unshortener apps.


The Unshorten It app by LeoCardz (Leonardo Cardoso)




  • Adds an entry to the contextmenu of each link.

  • Adds an option to the "Share Link" menu.

  • Shows up in the URL intent screen.


Furthermore, it is fast, the UI looks great and it doesn't contain any ads or nagging donate requests.


One minor issue: One cannot directly visit the URL without first tapping on the "Unshorten" button. After tapping that button, the URL is resolved (ie. unshortened if needed), and the result is displayed below the blue button. From there, you can share it, or open it in another browser, or just go back to the original app.



(I've evaluated two other apps, Unshorten by Tea and Toys and Short URL Evaluator by Nicolas Smith, but they didn't show up at the URL intent screen, which was a minimal requirement to me)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...