Thursday, April 28, 2016

usb peripherals - What are workable/straightforward methods for using external game controllers (bluetooth, USB) with the Android platform?



I own an Archos 43 IT running Android 2.2. It is my understanding that the Archos devices in this product line support USB Host and Bluetooth.


What are workable/straightforward methods for using external game controllers with the Android platform?


I am aware of the WiiMoteController project, and the capability of hooking up a Wii Classic Controller to a Wii Controller via bluetooth for emulator usage such as here.


The thing is that I don't already own any Wii controllers and it seems like a waste to go out and get those controllers if I already own several Logitech Dual Action USB gamepads, and could use those instead.



Answer



The best option (albeit a rather pricey one) appears to be the iControlPad. It was originally designed for use with an iPhone but now uses bluetooth to communicate with all bluetooth-enabled devices. It sounds like developers plan on supporting it, but I'm not sure how well it will work with current games.


EDIT: I recently became aware of another bluetooth gamepad that caters specifically to smartphones. It's called the Bluetooth Game Gripper. There is an Andoinica article about it here, and the kickstarter project is here. However, it doesn't appear that the maker has garnered enough VC to get the project off the ground, so I'm not sure of the current status.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...