Tuesday, September 1, 2015

4.1 jelly bean - Installing system apps on Android 4.4


I've installed apps on the system partition on Android 4.1 and it's as easy as moving an APK to the /system/app/ folder and restart the device. The PackageManager (I assume) will recognize a change in the directory and will install the application.


Now I'm trying to do the same thing on Android 4.4 and it's not working. I'm seeing the APK on the /system/app/ directory but I don't see the app on the launcher. I also tried moving it to the /system/priv-app/ folder but the end result is the same.


Does anyone have a clue of how to do this?


By the way, the 4.1 device was a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" Wifi and the 4.4 device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7". Both are rooted.




Answer



When copy/move files to system you need to change permissions using chmod 644 file_name.apk. The apps will then show back up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...