Thursday, January 14, 2016

4.2 jelly bean - How do you configure a Nexus 7/10 for family use


I'm considering getting one of the Nexus tablets for my family. I think the multi-user support is a great way to separate my apps from the kids games. But what I've read about the implementation of multiple users seems lacking. Without a device to experiment on I am left to ask here how this works.


What I would like to do is setup myself as owner, with my Google email address and Play Store credentials. Next I'd like to add users for my wife and my kids. Setting up a profile for my wife is easy as she has her own android phone and I can use her Google account for that. It's adding a user profile for each of my kids that I'm uncertain about.





  1. My kids are young and don't have email addresses. Nor do I want them to yet. Do I have to create an address for each of them? What are my alternatives?




  2. Can I configure the Play store for the kids user profiles to use my Play store sign-on / credentials? On my phone I have the option of doing this, though I don't know what effect it would have there either (does it uninstall the apps from the first sign on and sync down those from the second)?




Obviously I don't want to pay multiple times for apps for my kids. It's one thing for adults to buy their own apps, but does Google really expect each kid to have an associated credit card and to buy their own apps?


Any assistance in the correct way to configure the tablet would be appreciated.




Answer



Set up a child account on the device, this is pretty simple, there's an overview of that process here. You don't to sign the child in using a Google account, it lets you skip these steps.




Assuming you want your kids to be able to download any apps you've already paid for, or want to be able to download any apps you buy them, sign into the Play Store on the child account using your main account's credentials, it's probably worth also choosing not to sync all of the main account's emails/contacts/etc. across at this point. You can then add a PIN to the Play Store so that they can't buy anything with your details and also choose the maturity rating of the content they see, this won't affect the settings of the main account's Play Store on the device despite the fact you're using the same Google account on the store.


From this your kids can access all your already paid for applications but thanks to the PIN won't be spending any of your money, at least not without your knowledge, and you haven't had to sign them up for a Google account.


Any apps that they download also aren't automatically put into your main accounts app list so you don't have to worry about them downloading a load of games and it filling your home screen a la iPad/iPhone style.


The downside to this approach is that your kids will be able to read your GMail, see your calender and contacts etc. A good solution to this is an app locker which restricts them from using these applications. I tested APP Lock and it seemed to do the job well.




If you don't mind your kids not being able to download apps you've already paid for on your account and aren't bothered about not being able to access any games you buy them then I think it would be worth signing up for a new main Google account and adding your credit card details to this. You could then sign onto the child's Play Store using this new account, set up the PIN same and maturity in the same way as the last approach but this time you won't have to worry about them seeing your emails or any other information that is linked to your main account.





For both of these approaches if you download an application on the child's account with your main account selected in the Store but have added the child's email as well and then switched back to this on the Store after the download the app will remain on the device and still be usable.


If you want any more information, clarification or screenshots just say in the comments and I'll add it or test it out if I haven't already.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...