Sunday, January 3, 2016

Enable ADB and/or change USB connection mode on Galaxy S7 w/ broken screen



My Galaxy S7 Edge has a broken screen (totally black, and doesn't respond to touch). However, the phone does turn on and is recognized by Kies 3 and SmartSwitch. I am also able to unlock the phone via thumbprint (sometimes), or via OTG USB keyboard input (always).


The problem is that the USB connection mode is PTP, and I can't see the screen to change it to MTP so that SmartSwitch can retrieve data from the device.


I don't have USB debugging enabled on the device, so I can't change the settings that way.


And since the S6, there's no video output, so I can't buy an MHL+OTG adapter to view the output on a TV and change the settings via mouse.


I've tried booting into recovery mode by holding volume down + power + main button for 30 seconds, but nothing seems to happen. Even if I get into recovery mode, I'm not sure if I can enable ADB, and if that setting would persist after a restart.


I've also called Samsung support, which was useless.


Are there any options for me to either enable ADB, change the USB connection mode, or send video output to another display?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...