Sunday, January 24, 2016

wi fi - Change the server that Android uses for an internet connectivity check?



As far as I am aware, Android checks internet connectivity by connecting to connectivitycheck.android.com.


On one of the WiFi networks I regularly connect to, they use web filtering, and block the android website. This means I can use the internet, but when I move around the campus and my device has to connect to the next access point automatically (with the same SSID etc.), it refuses, as it could not previously get an internet connection. Provided I am rooted, can I change this server to, say, www.google.co.uk?


I am running Cyanogen Mod 12.1 on a C1905.


P.S. There is very little chance that I can get these guys to unblock the android website. :(



Answer



Just execute su then settings put global captive_portal_server SERVER_YOU_WANT_TO_USE in a terminal emulator app or ADB shell. I'm in China so I do this for every device I own when I set them up (i.e. clean flash - this persists through dirty flashing), and I use g.cn (shorthand for Google.cn). Google.com.hk should have the same function though I can't be sure.


I wonder why this didn't get a proper answer for this long...


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...