Wednesday, January 6, 2016

hardware - How can I physically remove the internal memory device from my Samsung Galaxy S2?


My Galaxy S2 has recently died completely over night. It does not turn on regardless of which combination of buttons I try and how long I press them. I've tried with two different batteries, without a battery, SIM, no SIM and so on. It still seems to recharge the battery as it builds up heat when connected to a charger in the top left corner below the display side camera.


Since I'm certain it is beyond repair I've ordered a new phone and am now thinking about how to get to the stuff that was not on the SD card of the broken one, which I neglected to backup for a few month. I've been thinking about removing the memory device physically. No harm done if I break anything else as I consider it broken already anyway. Unfortunately, there are hardly any resources on the internet that I was able to find in that regard.



So my question is simple: where is the internal memory in the S2 and how can I rip it out?


I don't care if I break any other components as long as I get to that memory device.



Answer



This may not be as easy as you think. The eMMC is connected to the board with a Ball Grid Array (BGA) connection, which is pretty difficult to reconnect once removed.


You can see photos of the chip and more discussion on the topic on this XDA post.


As for where the chip is, you might be able to find it on some teardowns, but my eyes didn't catch it in iFixIts photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...