Monday, January 11, 2016

rooting - Root EVO 4G stock ROM?



I've got a Sprint HTC EVO 4G Wimax. I want to get rid of the Sprint Apps to free up some space on the internal storage, but otherwise leave the phone stock for now.


I followed the instructions at the HTCdev website to unlock my bootloader and I installed Superuser from the Play Store. If I can get an su binary installed, I can give root to Titanium backup and remove the Sprint Apps. There is a zip file at androidsu.com that I think I can flash, but that's the bit I haven't figured out yet.


Since I've got an unlocked, but otherwise stock phone, I guess I don't have a recovery image, since if I boot into recovery mode, I get a red triangle with an exclaimation point.


What are my options for recovery images? Is there anything besides ClockworkMod or Amon Ra? If I go with either one, how do I get it installed?


Or is there a better way to get this done?


Update:


I Installed Amon Ra and used it to flash the su zip file. I removed the apps that I could without breaking anything. I didn't free up any space I could use at the moment, but I'm happy to have them gone.



Answer




What are my options for recovery images? Is there anything besides ClockworkMod or Amon Ra?




A third popular option is TeamWin Recovery Project, usually referred to as TWRP.



If I go with either one, how do I get it installed?



Since your bootloader is unlocked, you can use fastboot to install a recovery if you download it in .img format. You do this by downloading the recovery image to your computer, plugging in your phone, and executing:


fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img

from a PC command prompt while your device is booted into fastboot mode.


Alternatively, ClockworkMod and TWRP can both be installed from apps on rooted devices. For ClockworkMod you can use ROM Manager and select the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" menu option. TWRP can be installed using GooManager by selecting the "Install OpenRecoveryScript" option in the app's settings menu.



A third option is to get a copy of the recovery you want in a bootloader-flashable zip file. For the EVO it will be a file named PC36IMG.zip. You put it on the root of your phone's SD card and then reboot into your bootloader and it should flash it for you. I know that Amon Ra has been distributed in this format, but I'm not sure about the others.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...