Friday, January 22, 2016

hardware - How to detect a malicious USB charger?


My phone is rooted and has USB debugging enabled, because I do some development on it. In a moment of pre-caffeinated mental weakness, I plugged it into a cheap Chinese power bank.


The phone promptly stopped responding to touch input until I hard-rebooted. This reminded me that malicious chargers are apparently a thing. My google-fu hasn't shown any in the wild, I have no other symptoms, and MalwareBytes is giving me the all clear... so I'm not particularly worried.


Generally speaking though, how would you go about detecting a malicious charger?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...