Sunday, March 27, 2016

How can I get my Android Phone to use its SD card by default?


I've installed an Android ROM on my HTC HD2, and it's working smoothly and responsively. I've gotten calling, SMS, MMS and internet to work flawlessly. I do however have one small problem. With only Android installed, my phone only has a few hundred kilobytes of space left in it's internal memory. I have an SD card inserted with 16GB available that's not being used.



After 6 hours of use I'm already getting error messages about SMS message memory being full, and I can't download apps due to the lack of space.


Any way I can get my Android phone to treat the SD card as "default" location for saving files, including images from the camera, images recieved from MMS, apps, text messages, mails and application data?



Answer



The sad but inevitable answer is that you can't. There is as of yet no way to tell Android to use the spacious SD card instead of the precious internal memory when installing new applications or saving messages.


One workaround that I've taken advantage of is installing an Android ROM and running it from the SD card using magldr. My SD card isn't of particularly fine quality so the OS runs quite sluggish, but it beats deleting all my SMS every day


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...