Saturday, March 5, 2016

uninstallation - Android OS without Google Services?


I have a Sony Xperia Z with version 4.1.2 running.


My question is about removing all of the Google baggage from the phone.


I have no Google account tied to my phone and would really like to get rid of all traces of Google from my phone for a few reasons:



  • Battery performance: Google services ranks in the top 3 of what uses up my battery

  • Privacy: I try to minimize what Google siphons from my phone with the exception of Google maps

  • Less Dependency: I don't want to be dependent on one company for all my needs.



So are there any Android versions out there that are minimalistic and do not invade your privacy?



Answer



Most after-market ROMs ship without Google Apps by default. Take a look at e.g. CyanogenMod, which is available for many devices. So if you can install custom ROMs, that's one way to go.


A different approach would be disabling all Google apps, or even remove them (on a rooted device). This might be a little more tricky as you would have to figure out all dependencies yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...