Thursday, March 24, 2016

5.0 lollipop - Why encrypt the device?


Android 5 offers two encryption features:




  1. Encrypt the device (phone)




  2. Encrypt the external micro SD card





enter image description here


I understand the benefit of 2.: if someone takes my micro SD out and wants to use it on another phone/computer, he won't be able to see my personal files.


But I don't see the the benefit of 1. over a simple password screen lock: nobody can take the internal memory of my phone out of the phone itself. So what is the advantage of 1. over a simple screen lock with password + SIM code lock?


In which precise situation would a thief be defeated by an encrypted device whereas he wouldn't be with a standard screen lock with password? (I'm not speaking about external micro SD for which I already understand the benefit of encryption)


To be more precise: is there a way for a thief of a phone with password screen lock but no device encryption to access the phone's internal data (let's say he doesn't know the password / cannot crack it).




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...