Thursday, October 4, 2018

Turning off cell broadcast messages in Ice Cream Sandwich


The phone is a stock HTC One X.


The settings menu does not include a checkbox to enable/disable CB messages. They just keep popping up.


Update: Halfer already gave the link to the wikipedia article about CB, which should explain it in more detail than I ever can. What it means to me is that I get location information as I move around in town.



The screenshot here shows the checkbox for this feature on what I believe is Gingerbread:


Screenshot


Update 2: And this is the extremely boring message. This particular one just shows the carrier name, so it's even more useless and annoying than if it were showing location information:


Screenshot



Answer



After some investigation and asking around, I have been told that these settings might be under Settings -> Call -> Other Call Settings, and indeed they were.


However, the owner of both a stock Samsung Galaxy S3 and an ICS updated Galaxy S2 told me that those two had the CB settings under Messages -> Settings.


I have not been able to find out which one of these two the default location is. It is possible that HTC has moved them.


What I have found out is that other manufacturers (Sony is one example I've come accross) are also placing CB settings under general settings rather than messaging settings, so there might not be a one-size-fits-all answer for this question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...