Saturday, October 27, 2018

privacy - Support for Multiple Users on same device


Is there such a thing as a "current user" on Android and a way to switch it?


I'm interested in getting a Motorola Xoom and would like to share it with my wife when at home. For my Windows laptop we us fast-user switching so that we can keep our own tabs and logins. I'm not specifically interested in the privacy aspects of user-switching, so if the OS doesn't support separate users, is there a concept of profile switching?



Answer



This is available for phones starting in Android 5.0 (Lollipop):
http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/


And for tablets starting in Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean):
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html#42-multiuser


As Tatjana Heuser mentioned, it's also available as hidden functionality in Android 4.1, but not accessible through the regular user interface.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...