Saturday, November 23, 2019

samsung - Using your smartphone as Laptop and Desktop with a DisplayLink-Setup (with S7 for example)



I want to buy an Samsung S7, but I also want to use it as a laptop and desktop replacement. What I have in mind is a workflow like seen in this youtube video. After some researching how this could be done with the S7 I found out that it hasn't MHL (which might be problematic), and that what is done in the video might not work. Luckily I came across the DisplayLink technology.


So I want to buy a compatible docking station, for example this one. And as I read with USB OTG the phone could not charged I would use a wireless charger. Then some mouse and keyboard (bluetooth or usb with the docking station) and I would be happy. Also I would buy me a portable display and a power bank.


But before I go and buy it, has anybody experience with such a setup? I find it rather difficult to find information on these setups. I found this post here, but it is from 2011 and so not very up to date. So will this setup work? What solutions have you guys for such a setup?


If it might not work, or might be problematic, please feel free to offer alternative solutions, also suggesting different phones, as despite the S7 is my favorite up to now I am still open for other options that do what I want them to do.


EDIT: At the end of this post a user confirms that the Lenovo's DisplayLink (AN9017A1) works with the S7.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...