Thursday, November 28, 2019

Can I use a Galaxy Gear without a Samsung Phone?


I got excited about the prospect of writing code for a watch and ordered a Samsung Galaxy Gear. Currently the device does nothing unless paired with a Samsung phone running the proper version of the official software.



My goal is to enable debug mode and use adb to install apps, not necessarily use all the phone-gear functionalities.


Any idea on how to do anything without a Galaxy phone? The obvious answer is no, but I'm hoping some clever hacker in this site may have found a way.



Answer



I have gear and note 2. I rooted my phone and watch: everything went OK. Finally got internet on the gear Bluetooth tether to my phone.


Got new KitKat on the note 2. I installed Null ROM onto the gear. The gear with it original stock OS ROM sucks, its pure garbage. But with custom ROM its a lot better.


Beware: Rooting the gear you can mess it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...