Tuesday, January 29, 2019

wi fi - Wi-Fi connection dropping



Lately I've been having trouble keeping a connection to Wi-Fi, first at home and now at work. What happens is that after a while I'll notice that my phone is using 3G.


If I go into my Wi-Fi settings, I'll see a strong signal from my router. When I try to connect manually, I often get the message, "Failed to connect to network" with no further details. (There's a special place in hell for those who write error messages that give no indication of the nature of the problem.) Other times I can connect, but the signal is reported as weak and drops quickly.


My computers can connect with no problems and report strong wireless signals. My roommates have no similar problems.


I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean. My roommates have a Galaxy Note and a Galaxy S2, respectively, both on ICS.


What's wrong with my phone?




  • My phone is rooted but running the stock ROM.

  • My phone is the international GSM version.

  • I first noticed this problem while using Tasker to implement a Bluetooth wireless leash. I've stopped using the leash--and Bluetooth entirely--but the problem persists. I'm still using Tasker for other things.


  • In trying to track down this issue, I disabled "Avoid poor connections" but that change had no effect.

  • I'm willing to consider flashing stuff to my phone as a last resort, but I strongly prefer alternative solutions. I didn't have problems initially, so I doubt the radio is to blame. Furthermore, I will down vote any answer that provides an incompatible ROM/radio, etc. or that provides it from a non-reputable source.



Answer



My solution, which seems to be working so far, is quite related to what was proposed by t0mm13b.


That proposal was to adjust the DHCP settings. However, my router is quite limited in functionality and it's impossible to adjust wifi settings on it. Insane, I know. So, I set my phone to use a static IP address instead of using DHCP. So far, so good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...