Thursday, January 31, 2019

data recovery - Recovering the contacts, SMS and call log from SD card



I am using an Micromax A57 running Android 2.3.5. Since there was a problem in the launcher, I reset the phone to factory settings, taking my SD card out before doing so. Since the phone's internal memory is very small, all the contacts, call log and SMS are saved on the SD card.


While doing the factory reset, my assumption was that I could restore this information from the SD card afterwards. However, when I re-inserted the SD card, my phone could not get any of my contact, SMS or call log information. I searched the Internet for the past 2 days and tried several applications to get it back but all in vain. My questions are:


First of all, would it be possible to get the SMS, contact and call log back from SD card (as I reset mobile alone taking SD card out)?


If possible, how to restore SMS, contact and call log?


Phone is rooted and I am sure the data lies somewhere in the phone as bits and bytes. Experts advise please.



Answer



Your assumption that Contacts, SMS and Call Logs are automatically saved to the SD Card was incorrect. They are indeed stored on the internal memory of the device. /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/ is the most likely storage location. That can change though, depending on Android OS version, manufacturer/carrier modifications, or even 3rd-party apps that you use in place of built-in Contacts/Phone/Messaging apps.


Unless you synced your contacts to your Google account, backed up SMS and call logs, they are now lost after a factory reset.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...